1. To protect yourself use a credit card while shopping online. The federal government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the customer is responsible for is really a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.
2. When you're shopping online you should be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by searching for reviews to them online.
3. Discover more about the payment methods offered by the online store you are interested in. Most stores provide you with the option to pay with a credit card or with PayPal. A credit card is a safe option only when the store has a secure server. If you do not see any information regarding safety, it is recommended to go through another store.
4. When shopping online, it is crucial that you spend a little time considering the site that you will be considering buying from. You can get information about the website from other sites and the Better Business Bureau. Not researching them might lead to you obtaining the products you probably did not order or getting billed greater than you should have.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.