1. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and discover one that includes a better reputation.
2. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking with a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It will make a product look bigger or smaller than. Make sure to browse the description so that you know exactly what you really are purchasing.
3. When you are online shopping, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be requesting trouble. Some people have had their credit card and personal information stolen from shopping on under reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
4. In case a company features a newsletter, register. Often, companies will give sneak peeks, special deals and coupon codes to people on their mailing list. However, be careful. You don't want to sign up for every company's newsletter or you'll soon be buried under endless emails. Only sign up for a company's newsletter should you really like their products and would use a discount code.
5. Should you shop frequently at a certain website or online store, it may be worth it to sign up for their email updates which usually have promotions and sales. This can translate into savings for you personally as you may get yourself a discount around the item as well as free shipping, which can add up to bigger savings if you purchase from the site often.