1. Sign up for your preferred online stores' newsletters. Often times online stores sends out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to spend less, you could possibly score some terrific deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.
2. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you find yourself shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten in the event you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a restriction and stick to it.
3. When you're shopping online you need to be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by looking for reviews upon them online.
4. Be sure that you're entering your payment details on a safe and secure site. Try to find "https://" inside the URL in the site that you're seeking to buy something from. If you don't see that or no symbol of any website security, then it's probably a good idea not to trust those people together with your account information.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.